We produce exclusively in certified natural fibers, where we know that the production of the raw material has been done safely and with consideration for the environment. Strategic procurement and ongoing research and development ensure the use of highly advanced, natural materials that are plant-based and use less influential dyes. All our textiles are produced according to strict environmental standards and certifications in order to deliver the most exclusive textiles with high quality standards in non-toxic ways, ethical and sustainable. Our manufacturers are members of the BCI - Better Cotton Initiative, which ensures a global cotton production that is better for the people who produce it, better for the environment in which it grows, and better for the future of the sector. All our textiles are OekoTex certified, which ensures that the textiles are made without harmful chemical substances. All our textiles are produced exclusively in Portugal, using state-of-the-art equipment, where production processes are closely monitored and where reduced water consumption and energy-saving methods are in place. All our manufacturers are even GOTS-certified (Global Organic Textile Standard), which is recognized as the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers. It defines high level environmental criteria throughout the supply chain with organic textiles and also requires compliance with social criteria.
A truly sustainable business must be able to prove its commitment. Therefore, we constantly monitor the entire production process and provide our social and environmental responsibilities with some of the most strict certifications such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and Step. As a result, our products can be awarded the certifications GOTS, OCS, GRS, Standard 100 by Oeko-Tex.
Transparency & Traceability
Our manufacturers in Portugal have been awarded the prize as the most sustainable factories in Portugal, due to their focus on energy-saving measures, consumption and treatment of their wastewater, the use of non-harmful chemicals and recycling of residual production.
The following energy-saving measures in both the weaving plant and in the finishing facilities have been taken in relation to washing, drying and hardening of energy efficiency:
- Automatic control devices installed in all preparation and dyeing machines to control the archiving volume and temperature of the baths.
- All washing machines have a low liquid ratio.
- Use of cooling water as process water, as well as use of condensed water in the boilers.
- Stents and sanford machines centralization and hot water recovery.
- Insulation of all hot water and steam pipes in the dimensioning and finishing machines.
- Electric motors with frequency control units to minimize energy consumption.
Impact & Chemistry
In addition, the following measures are in accordance with the implemented environmental management system according to all recommendations from ISO 14001:
Selection of chemical products and use according to Oeko-Tex, Standard 100
Choice of biodegradable products.
- Size-based ion starch, which is easy to remove and is exempt from pentachlorophenol (PCP).
- Combination of several "desizing" operations (boiling, washing, bleaching) in only one step when possible.
- Sodium hydroxide recovery system through evaporation.
- Discontinuous dyeing machines that provide a better and optimal batch dimension according to each machine capacity.
- Use of optimal processes with low atmospheric emissions.
- Selective collection of unavoidable waste and use of returnable packaging for chemical products.
In numbers, this means for our manufacturers a 70% improvement in terms of environmental impact (water management, reduction of greenhouse gases and minimization of chemicals), as well as reduction, recycling or recycling of 98% of production waste materials.
Social & Ethics
Appearance is committed to an in-depth event in our sustainable and social impact:
To promote sustainable development through the use of resources rationally with the aim of reducing the consumption of energy, water and other natural resources by using technologies that enable such reductions where technically possible and economically viable.
- To prevent pollution of the environment by contributing to greater environmental sustainability and minimizing the environmental impact caused by the company's activities.
- To establish and promote partnerships with all stakeholders that promote innovation and sustainable development in its economic, social and environmental dimensions.
- To comply with all legal and regulatory requirements arising from the business of the company; including environmental, quality and social responsibility.
To comply with the principles of the International Labor Organization (ILO), including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and applicable national laws.
- To undertake to sanction child labor, forced labor, non-compliance with safety rules, discrimination, undisciplined practice and overtime of employees.
- To undertake that no production is permitted in a house / as a subcontract / sublease to a prison or where prisoners are held.